Fishers is a city located in Fall Creek and Delaware Townships, Hamilton County, Indiana, United States, with a population of 76,794, according to the 2010 census. A suburb of Indianapolis, Fishers has grown rapidly in recent decades: about 350 people lived there in 1963, 2,000 in 1980, and only 7,200 as recently as 1990. In 2011, Fishers was named the number one city for families by The Learning Channel and was selected as a Green Community by the Indiana Association of Cities and Towns. The town was named the safest city in the nation in 2011, and again in 2012. In 2010, Fishers was ranked eighth in the best places to live according to Money, America’s best affordable suburb by BusinessWeek, and the eleventh best place to move in the country by Forbes. Fishers was also ranked the 24th best place to live in America by Moneymagazine in 2005, 33rd in 2006, 10th in 2008, and 12th in 2012.
After the passage of a referendum on Fishers’s status in 2012, Fishers transitioned from a town to a city on January 1, 2015. The first mayor of Fishers—Scott Fadness—along with the city’s first clerk and city council were sworn in on December 21, 2014.
|City of Fishers|
Fishers town hall
Location in the state of Indiana
|Township||Fall Creek, Delaware|
|• Total||35.84 sq mi (92.83 km2)|
|• Land||33.59 sq mi (87.00 km2)|
|• Water||2.25 sq mi (5.83 km2)|
|Elevation||817 ft (249 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||81,833|
|• Density||2,286.2/sq mi (882.7/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||46038, 46037, 46040|
|GNIS feature ID||0434526|
In 1802 William Conner settled what is now present-day Fishers, Indiana. Conner built a log cabin and a trading post along the White River (Indiana). The land that Conner settled is now known as Conner Prairieand is one of the nation’s most respected living history museums.
Settlers started moving to the area after Indiana became a state in 1816 and the Delaware Indians gave up their claims in Indiana and Ohio to the United States government in 1818 in the Treaty of St. Mary’s. At the treaty William Conner served as an interpreter for Chief William Anderson, his father-in-law. At the time William Conner was married toMekinges Conner princess and daughter of Chief William Anderson. In 1823, Hamilton County was chartered by the Indiana General Assembly and Delaware Township was established and surveyed. After the state of Indiana moved its capital to Indianapolis from Corydon in 1825, the community started to grow. After the move, John Finch established a horse-powered grinding mill, a blacksmith shop, and the area’s first school. The next year the area’s first water mill was constructed.
During 1826 the Ambassador House was built near the White River, at the modern-day corner of 106th Street and Eller Road. It was later acquired by Addison and India Harris, who was appointed ambassador to the Austro-Hungarian Empire by U.S. President William McKinley. Today, Ambassador House sits on the grounds of Fishers’ Heritage Park at White River, and plans for its restoration are being developed by Fishers’ Historic Preservation Committee.
In 1849, construction began on the Peru & Indianapolis Railroad, extending from Indianapolis to Chicago. This railroad brought several people to the area then known as Fisher’s Switch. In 1872, Fisher’s Switch, also known as Fishers Station, was platted by Salathial Fisher at the present-day intersection of 116th Street and the railroad. Indiana’s General Assembly incorporated Fisher’s Station in 1891.